Each woman’s bathroom shelfs are full of a variety of tools to clean your face: lotions, gels, lotions, scrubs, and so on. However, probably the most popular way to fight acne is use of oil to clean your face.
How does it work?
This cleansing method uses oil directly applied to your face. A common mistake concerning oil and acne is that oil causes acne. Oil does not cause acne – other factors like dead skin cells, age, dirt and hormones are the actual causes of acne. The sebum from oil glands in your skin is there to protect and heal it from outside effects. Oil is actually helping your skin.
Our skin constantly releases sebum. We are doing a big mistake while washing with water, because the oils and fats are insoluble in water. If we dissolve oil with oil, then there will be a lot easier to wash and remove them from our skin. To dissolve a non-polar solvent like sebum/oil, is by using another non-polar solvent – other oil.
Which oil is the best?
The most versatile is the castor oil. It is suitable for all skin types. Also, has an anti-bacterial properties. However, the most suitable oil, must be chosen individually according to your skin condition and needs.
- Jojoba oil is suitable for all skin types, especially acne prone skin. It is a great natural moisturizer, is non-comedogetic and mimics the skin’s own natural sebum.;
- Sweet almond oil is suitable for all skin types, especially for oily skin;
- Grape seed oil is suitable for all skin types, especially for oily skin. It is light, quick to absorb and is known for its astringent properties;
- Avocado oil for dry and mature skin;
- Sunflower seed oil is suitable for all skin types ;
- Olive oil is suitable for all skin types. Extra virgin olive oil works as a moisturizer and is fortified with antioxidants;
- Apricot kernel oil for dry, mature and normal skin types;
- Argan oil is suitable for all skin types, especially wilted skin.
Argan oil is the most expensive from the above. Coconut oil is not recommended for cleaning the skin because it clogs the pores and causes the appearance of acne.
Washing your face with water (using milks, gels, etc.) has many disadvantages. First of all, all foaming tools contain a variety of chemicals. Second, the washing water does not remove all the accumulated fat from the skin, but only in part. This can lead to the blockage of pores, blackheads, redness.
You can try any of these recipes, which are based on castor oil:
- Oily Skin:
3 parts of castor oil + 1 part additional oil (such as jojoba oil, almond oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, Sunflower Seed Oil).
- Normal Skin:
1 part of castor oil +1 part of additional oil.
- Dry skin:
1 part of castor oil + 3 parts of additional oil (like avocado).
You may also add some Tea Tree oil, which is a great antiseptic and is often used as a treatment for acne. Make some experiments and create a unique formula for your skin. If your skin feels too dry, you will need to use less Castor Oil and mix more of other oils. Remember that Castor Oil is the cleansing and purging oil for your pores, while the other oil should dilute the Castor Oil’s thickness.
Skin cleansing with oil, step by step
- Preparation. Mix oil mixture. Prepare a clean swab, if accidentally put too much oil. Moisten the face with a warm water. There’s no need to remove the makeup first, apparently oil cleaning method is great for removing makeup (apply the oil directly over the makeup).
- Cleaning. Pour a little oil into the palm of your hand, apply on the face. Slowly massage your skin in a circular motions to free all of the trapped dirt and dead skin cells. Massage your skin for about 2 minutes, then leave the oil for 30 seconds.
- Face washing. There are two ways of doing this:
- Wash with a hot-water the water should be hotter than in normal, but do not burn yourself. Moisten the sponge with hot water and add it to your face and hold for 10-15 seconds, let it heat. Then remove the oil from your skin using the sponge. Splash your face with cold water to close your pores and then pat your face dry.
- Run a washcloth under the faucet. Also use a hot water, but not too hot. Test it little by little on your face. This part is very important, because it has to be hot enough to cause a steaming effect that helps to remove the dirt, dead skin cells and all the bad stuff form your pores. Leave the washcloth over your face until it’s cooled down, this will take about a minute (This can be repeated as many times as you like, depending on how much time you have).
How often can you cleanse your face with oil?
You will decide how often you want to do the cleansing. You can do this every night or 2-3 times a week. The advantage is that while using oil cleansing method you can refuse washing with detergents that contains sulphates and sulphides. Over time, your skin will become more radiant, smoother. When you’re done your pimples should look red. Don’t be afraid, be patient. This means that your pores have been opened and cleaned. Repeating this procedure will make your skin clear and allow to heal itself.
Skin cleansing with oil pros and cons
+ This cleaning method is suitable for all skin types , including problematic skin types. There is no sense of dryness, the skin becomes radiant and shining.
+ It is a natural treatment method. Just need to buy a high-quality oil.
+ In addition to cleansing, makeup is also removed .
+ Necessary natural skin grease is left on the face, without prejudicing skin’s protective layer.
+ This method is particularly suitable for winter , as well as the transitional seasons, when it is difficult to take care of your skin.
– Probably it will take 1-2 weeks before you get used to a new way of cleansing .
– Seeing results takes more time than using normal cleansing products.
– Slightly more expensive.
– Takes more pads and towels, because oil lubricates them quickly.
Here are the results after only 5 days of using oil cleansing method. toloveawallflower have shared her experience: